Are you interested in eating the most delicious and healthy foods in the Finger Lakes? Eating locally and seasonally allows you to consume the tastiest and freshest fruits and vegetables available at farmer’s markets, roadside stands, grocery stores, and restaurants.
Top five reasons to savor local:
- When you buy from local producers, you are keeping your dollars in our region’s economy and supporting the livelihoods of your neighbors. Know Your Neighbors
- Buying local products is an investment in the future sustainability of our local farms. Vibrant, active farms help ensure a green, productive natural landscape for all to enjoy.
- Fruits and vegetables that have been transported over 1,200 miles may take three days to reach the east coast. During this time there is a loss of freshness, quality, and healthful nutrients.
- Locally-produced foods and beverages require less transportation fuel, meaning less greenhouse gas emissions and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Local just tastes better! Find out for yourself.
Be a Savvy Shopper…pointers for buying fresh local foods and products
- Use guides such as the Pride of New York’s harvest chart http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/AP/PrideOfNY/harvest.html to determine the general harvest and availability of local crops. You can also find out what’s in season through Edible Finger Lakes
- Local, seasonal crops harvested in an abundant supply are often less expensive than out-of-season produce, allowing you to reduce your weekly spending and experiment with a wide variety of foods throughout the year.
- Also, consider buying fresh local produce in bulk quantities for preserving and canning for the winter months.
- The easiest way to know whether you are buying local? Look for the FLCB logo! Search FLCB’s member directory to find out product availability, locations, and other business information.