What’s Fresh Now
Savor the Season’s Flavors
You’ll find an abundance of fresh produce in the Finger Lakes, but remember that no two seasons are the same! Discover what’s best to eat from local producers in each season below:
- Spring (March to Mid-June): Eat beans, onions, herbs such as basil and parsley, and other early spring produce including asparagus and leafy greens.
- Summer (June to August): Cool down with fruits such as berries, plums, and peaches; vegetables such as beets, beet greens, broccoli, spinach, and summer squash; and fresh herbs and spices such as cilantro and peppermint.
- Fall (September to Mid-December): Incorporate pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, winter squash, and spices such as ginger, cinnamon and mustard seeds into your diet.
- Winter (December to Mid-March): Warm up with steamed potatoes, winter squash, and meals cooked with carrots, onions, and garlic. You’ll also benefit from eating animal proteins such as eggs, chicken, fish, and lamb, along with apples and pears.
Savor Local Year Round…Local food doesn’t just have to be fruits and vegetables. Here in the Finger Lakes you can enjoy a wide variety of local products year-round, including meats and poultry, dairy products such as cheese, maple syrup and honey, locally milled flour, oils and vinegars, and an assortment of jams and condiments.
Resources for Finding Local Products
- FLCB Member Directory – Search FLCB’s member directory to find out product availability, locations, and other business information. And don’t forget: When you buy from an FLCB member, you know it’s local!
Cooperative Extension Services:
- Edible Finger Lakes – Find out What’s in Season right now.
- Farmshed CNY – http://directory.farmshedcny.com/ U-Pick farms throughout the Finger Lakes
- Finger Lakes Cheese Trail – flcheesetrail.com
Finger Lakes Wine Trails